Events are the basic element of the extension and a new Magento product type created by the extension. All the other event properties are made grouped around events and create the whole tissue of the event tickets shopping process. So, setting up and configuring venues, spaces, sectors, and ticket types come first before the event management.
In order to enter the Venues configuration page follow the next path in the Magento backend: Catalog > Event Tickets by Aheadworks > Venues. In real life, venues are buildings or some specific locations hosting events.
The Venues grid is built of four columns: ID, Name, Address, and Status. The Add Venue button on the Venue page allows adding a new venue. The New Venue page includes three sections: General Information, Storefront Description, and Assigned Spaces.
The General Information section allows specifying its name, address (optional) and enabling the venue.
The Store Description section makes it possible to define the reference store view, venue's title, and description.
The Assigned Spaces includes all the spaces assigned to this particular venue. The grid consists of the next columns: ID, Venue, Name, Status, and Sectors Qty. If you need to configure a particular space, you can get to the space configuration page at the spot with the active link provided in the Name column.
'Venue' is a filterable layered navigation attribute that allows customers to look for events held in different venues.
Space and Sector Configuration
Spaces are the areas of a particular venue and meant to be, for example, fan zones, dance floors, and table seats of a concert hall or nightclub. The Spaces configuration page is located at: Catalog > Event Tickets by Aheadworks > Spaces.
The Spaces grid contains the next columns: Venue, Name, Status (enabled/disabled), Sectors Qty. The Name column contains active links to be used to enter 'Edit Space' pages of particular spaces. In order to createa new space click the Add Space button.
The New Space page of the extension consists of three sections: General Information, Storefront Description, and Sectors.
- Name - allows you to determine the space's name;
- Enable Space - makes it possible to enable/disable a particular space;
- Venue - assigns the space to existing venues or makes it available to be used by other venues with the 'Any Venue' option.
- Store View -allows you to assign the space to a particular store view;
- Title - the space's title to be displayed on the frontend;
- Description - the space's description to be displayed on the frontend.
- Name - the sector's name;
- SKU - the sector's SKU;
- Enable Sector - the option enables/disables the sector;
- Tickets Qty - the number of tickets available for the sector;
- Store View - a Magento store view the sector belongs to;
- Title - the sector's title to be displayed on the frontend;
- Description - the sector's description to be displayed on the frontend.
The sum of all sector tickets determines the entire ticket capacity of the venue.
The Sectors section allows you to add any number of sectors with multiple Magento store views.
Ticket Type Configuration
Ticket can be also differentiated by types, e.g. for kids and adults, standard and VIP tickets. In order to create new and edit existing types of tickets please follow the path: Catalog > Event Tickets by Aheadworks > Ticket Types.
The Ticket Types grid contains four columns: ID, Name, Status, and SKU. Using the Add Ticket Type button you can add any number of ticket types for any circumstances and ticket conditions.
The New Ticket Type page includes two sections: General Information and Storefront Description. The options of the above sections are similar to the corresponding options described for Spaces.
As soon as the required venues, spaces, and sectors are created you can finally to start creating new events. The configuration is available in the same Event Tickets by Aheadworks menu.
The Events grid enumerates all past, running, and upcoming events and is made of the following columns:
- ID - event IDs;
- Name - event names. The column contains active links to event Magento product pages;
- Start Date - the date and time when the event starts;
- End Date - the date and time when the event finishes;
- Status - shows past, running, and upcoming statuses of the events;
- Total tickets qty - the number of all tickets that can be purchased;
- Used tickets qty - the number of used tickets;
- Available tickets qty - the difference between the number of all available and used tickets;
- Action - an active link to the detailed ticket page of a particular event.
By default, the Events page shows upcoming and running events only. The past events can be fetched using the grid filtering options.
In order to see all the tickets generated for a certain event use the View Tickets links in the Action column. The page contains a grid with the next columns:
- ID - ticket grid IDs;
- Number - ticket autogenerated identification numbers;
- Status - ticket status:
- Pending - for the tickets with pending orders. Such tickets are temporarily taken from stocks in order to prevent double booking;
- Unused - active still not used tickets;
- Used - the ticket is used in order to visit the event;
- Canceled - the tickets canceled for any reason.
- Email Sent - the status of the emails with tickets (sent or not);
- Order - an active link to the Magento order created to purchase the ticket;
- Buyer Name - the name of the ticket customer;
- Action - an active box used by Magento admins for managing tickets from the backend. The functionality is available for Used, Unused and Pending tickets.
- Used tickets: a) Cancel; b) Undo Check-in;
- Unused tickets: a) Cancel; b) Check in; c) Resend; d) Download Ticket;
- Pending tickets: a) Cancel; b) Activate.
- Custom columns. Tickets can also contain some custom fields specified as required or optional fields for a particular event.
The 'Tickets to...' grid also allows Magento admins to massively export tickets to CSV files for further use in third-party solutions.
Creating a New Event
The Add Event button allows creating a new event. Events are much similar to native Magento products except for two specific configuration sections: Event Ticket Options and Event Ticket Personalization.
Event Ticket Options
The section contains the following options:
- Require Shipping - allows you to override the option specified in General Settings (see below). The option is used for either virtual (shipping is not required) or digital (shipping required) tickets.
- Event Start Date - determines the date and time the event is going to be started;
- Event End Date - determines the date and time the event is going to be finished;
- Tickets Selling Deadline - event tickets selling deadline date and time.
Event Ticket Space Configuration
The Select Space Configuration button allows configuring spaces for this particular event in three steps:
- Select Venue. The step makes it possible to add a particular venue to the current event choosing from the list of existing options;
- Select Space. In accordance with the selected venue, next comes the grid of the spaces available for the selected venue. The list contains general spaces, available for all venues, and the spaces assigned to the venue selected above;
- Summary. The third step summarizes and displays the selected venue and space, and shows the sectors assigned to this particular selection.
This way, Magento admins can add any number of spaces to the event. The same way, they can delete existing spaces and add new ones.
You can also provide product suggestions per sector. On the same product page, you can see the 'Select Products' button below each sector. By clicking the button, you will be able to select the products to be offered within the corresponding sector.
All the selected products will then be displayed in the form of a list.
At the storefront, the configured product suggestions cab be found on the corresponding event's page.
Event Ticket Personalization
Image RemovedImage Added
For personalization purposes, admins can add any number of custom options and option fields to events. The New Option section consists of:
- Phone Number;
- Text Field;
- 'Required' check box. Options You can be set options either as optional or required during the event tickets shopping process depending on the state of the checkbox;
- 'Apply to all ticket types' check box. You can share individual options among all the existing ticket types to save time on their manual creation from scratch;
- Store view. You can assign this option to a particular Magento store view;
- Option Title. The name of the option to be displayed on the frontend and backend.
Now , when the Event product is properly configured you can save it in several ways with the right-top Save button. You can save the current product and open a new product configuration page, save and close the configuration, or save and duplicate the existing product in case you have to arrange several similar events.
For configurable products, the logic is the following:
- If a configurable product has the 'Can be Purchased Only With a Ticket' option enabled, all child products will inherit the behavior of the parent product.
- If the configurable product has the 'Can be Purchased Only With a Ticket' option disabled, every child product will follow its own behavior.
The extension configuration section is available at: Stores > Configuration > Aheadworks Extensions > Event Tickets. The configuration page contains of three sections: General, Email Settings, Ticket Number Pattern.
- Create Ticket by Order Status . This options - contains all the available order statuses and allows you to select the one going to trigger tickets creation. If you, for example, sell tickets in installments (Attend now, pay later) you need to select some other order statuses apart from 'Completed'.;
- Ticket Management Group on Storefront . This option allows appointing - appoints a Magento customer group to be used by ticket takers for entering the frontend and getting access to the QR and barcode functionality scanning.;
- Tickets Require Shipping . This option - specifies the status of your tickets and makes it possible to determine whether you are going to sell only digital tickets (with 'No') or you can also sell physical ones (with 'Yes');
- URL to The Events Category - the link that will be provided on the pages of the products available exclusively with tickets.
To make a particular product available with tickets only:
- Go to Catalog > Products;
- Open the settings page of the required product;
- Under the 'Event Ticket Related Options' tab, move the 'Can be Purchased Only With a Ticket' switcher to 'Yes'.
Once you've applied the configuration to the product, the users will be able to see the alert on its page (along with the link specified in the extension settings).
- Notification Email Sender -specifies the email address to be used for sending tickets to customers;
- Ticket Email Template - the email template to be used to send tickets to customers;
- Ticket Template PDF - the PDF template to be used as a ticket.
Email Template Variables
- $ticket.getCustomerName - fetches the name of the customer;
- $ticket.getCustomerEmail - fetches the email of the customer;
- $ticket.getAttendeeName - fetches the name of the ticket recipient (actual attendee);
- $ticket.getAttendeeEmail - fetches the email of the ticket recipient (actual attendee);
- $ticket.getEventTitle - fetches the event product title;
- $ticket.getEventDescription - fetches the content of the 'Full description' field on the event product configuration page;
- $ticket.getEventAddress - fetches the address of the venue;
- $eventStartDateFormatted - fetches the start date of the event;
- $eventEndDateFormatted - fetches the end date of the event;
- $eventImageUrl - fetches the image of the event.
Ticket Number Patterns
In addition to QR and barcodes, each ticket has its own unique ID, and Magento admins are able to define the pattern of those IDs:
- Number Length - defines the length of ticket IDs;
- Number Format - define s the format of the ID. Can be numeric, alphabetic, and alphanumeric;
- Number Prefix - the prefix to be added to the ID;
- Number Suffix - the suffix to be added to the ID;
- Dash Every X Characters - separates the ID for better reading.