Migration from Refer a Friend 1.X
- Make sure that Refer a Friend 2 is installed successfully
- Backup your database
- Copy the file awraf_export.php to your store root folder if it was not copied during the installation.
- Execute it under your browser, i.e. simply go to http://YourStore.com/awraf_export.php.
- After the migration is complete, make sure to delete the file awraf_export.php by security reasons.
The General Configuration section of the extension is located in Refer a Friend → Configuration (or System → Configuration → aheadWorks Extensions → Refer a Friend ).
- Calculate Purchase Amount As('Item Price' / 'Item Price + Tax') – This option defines whether the discount specified in the rules (see below) should be calculated considering tax settings.
- Allow Usage With Coupons ('Yes/No') - Determines whether the discount can be applied together with coupons and Shopping Cart Price Rules.
Both Coupons and Shopping Cart Price Rules have higher priority than the Refer a Friend discounts, so when set to 'No', this option will prevent customer from applying a discount if any Shopping Cart Rule has been triggered.
- Max discount % to order – maximum amount of discount (percent type) which can be applied to an order.
Depending on the rules settings, referrer can obtain quite a significant discount. This option will limit the possibility to use both fixed and percent discount types.
Example: a referrer earned 78% in total, but if this option is set to 15, the referrer can use 15% Off discount at a time only.
- Apply discount if cart total is equal or greater than – this option defines minimum cart total amount allowed for discount usage. This option works both for fixed and percent discount.
Example: If the option is set to 99, it will be impossible to apply a discount to a cart unless the current subtotal reaches $99.
Minimum discount to be able to redeem – customer can not spend less than specified here. This option applies to fixed discount only.
Example: if this option is set to 25, Referrer can not use their discount at all, until they earn 25$ or more. However, they still can apply their 10%.
- Recognize referrals by option defines how the extension should recognize referrals:
- If Referral Link is selected new customers will only be considered referrals if they have proceeded to the store by the invitation link sent;
- If Email Address is selected new customers will be considered referrals if they have registered the account under the same email address the invitation has been sent to.
- Give bonus to referral for registration (Yes/No) – determines whether referred friend will get any bonus.
- Bonus type (Fixed discount/Percent Discount)
Important: If Bonus type is Percent Discount, referrer will be able to use it indefinitely. However, admin can edit or delete this discount manually in Refer a Friend → Manage Discounts later.
- Bonus amount - The amount of discount which referral will earn after registering at the store.
Note, if referral logs in (rather than create a new account on the site), they are considered to be an existing customer and therefore, will not earn the bonus. Referrer will not receive any bonus for that referral's activity either.
- Allow invitation (Yes/No) – When set to 'No', only Broadcast links and Sharing features are available.
- Email sender and Select email template - these self-explanatory options define the Sender and the Template of the Invitation message.
- Redirect to: Here one can define the URL of the page where referral will be redirected to after clicking the referred link.
The option should have the format http://yourstore.com/somepage.html
- Reset all rule activities – this button will reset all transactions, discounts and statistics. This option will not delete existing rules, though.
The rules can be created and managed in Refer a Friend → Manage Rules backend tab.
After you click Add New Rule button, make sure to set it up properly prior to saving. Some of the rule parameters are not editable after a rule gets saved.
The options are:
- Rule Name — a text field, you can specify any recognizable name
Rule Type – there are 3 different types:
1. Store sign up. Referrer will receive a bonus for the sign ups of his referrals (no purchases required).
2. Discount for a number of items. Referrer will get a bonus for the certain (or greater) amount of items purchased by referral(s). Since the version 2.1.1 this option works 'per-friend'.
3. Discount for referrals' purchase amount. When referral(s) spend a certain sum, referrer will get a bonus. Since the version 2.1.1 this option works 'per-friend'..
Discounts are added to referrer when referral's order(s) obtain 'Invoiced' status.
Bonus Type there are two options for each rule type: Fixed flat rate and percent discount. Customer can use both percent and fixed discount on a purchase at a time.
Note, if several rules with percent discounts triggered at a time, a greater discount will be used only, without summarizing them. For example, there are two rules set: the first one provides 20% off, another one gives 30%. If both rules have been triggered, referrer will receive 30% off (the greater discount of those two will be applied).
Important: In current version, the percent discount does not have an expiration option, so basically, it is a lifetime discount. However this discount can be canceled by admin. Also, it's amount can be limited with the option Max discount % to order in Refer a Friend → Configuration → General.
- Active From * Specify the date when the rule is to start working.
- Target * This is one of the most important options, which depends on Rule Type:
1. if Rule Type is 'Store sign up' → Target = Quantity of sign ups required to trigger the rule.
2. if Rule Type is 'Discount for a number of items' → Target = Number of items which referrals have to purchase to trigger the rule.
3. if Rule Type is 'Discount for referrals' purchase amount.' → Target = Minimal amount which should be spent by referrals in the store to trigger the rule.
- Bonus Amount * Depending on Bonus Type, it can be set in base website currency or in percent.
- Trigger limit - This option defines how many times the rule bonus can be earned by the referrer. E.g., if you set up a rule to give a bonus for 5 items purchased by the customer's referrals, and set the Trigger Limit to "1", the bonus will only be granted once, when the rule amount is reached for the first time. If the Trigger Limit is set to "2", the bonus will be granted for the referrals' purchasing 5 and 10 items. If the Trigger Limit = "3", the bonus will be granted for 5, 10 and 15 items. Also, check the description of the option 'Save Remainder For Later Usage' . If the Trigger Limit option is left empty (i.e., "no limit"), the referrer will earn the bonus each time the Target amount is reached.
- Save Remainder For Later Usage - This option complements the Trigger Limit option, and defines how the target amount is calculated for a multi-trigger rule. This is how it works: The rule is to give a discount for 3 items purchased. If the option to save remainder is 'No', a friend must purchase at least 3 items in a single order. If the option is set to 'Yes', the quantity of purchased items can be split into several orders: the friend can purchase 2 items in one order, and then 1 item in the next one.
- Rule Priority – the higher the value is, the more priority the rule has.
- Stop Further Rules Processing: When set to 'Yes', all rules with priority lower than the current one will not be triggered.
- Status Enabled/Disabled
- Store view * Choose store view where the rule is active.
After the rule is created, click Save or Save and Continue Edit.
- Refer a Friend → Manage Discounts and Refer a Friend → Manage Transactions pages are generally the same.
The difference is Manage Discounts displays the information about percent-rate bonuses, while Manage Transactions shows transactions with flat amount.
Admin has a possibility to add both flat and percent discounts manually. In Manage Transactions it is also possible to subtract balance by entering a negative value.
- Refer a Friend → Statistics The page which shows statistics by referrer.
It is possible to export it to CSV or XML file format.
To insert “Invite a friend” button into CMS block or page use the following variable:
- Make sure to remove all buttons before uninstallation.
- Do not insert this code directly into phtml.
Disable compilation, in case it is enabled.
1. Remove all extension's buttons and widgets inserted manually.
2. Login to your FTP, navigate to app/etc/modules/
3. Open the file AW_Raf.xml and change the following line:
Now your Magento is unaware of the existence of this module.
4. Clear the cache under var/cache
5. Make sure that the site is working properly, otherwise roll back the changes and apply to our technical support.
6. If everything works fine, it is safe to delete the files of the extension.
7. In case you need to clean the database, make a backup and then run the following query in MySQL:
Note, if you are using the tables with prefixes, you have to specify them in all table names before running the query above.
- If you are not sure how to do that or expect any troubles with it, please contact your server administrator regarding the matter
- If you remove the tables as it is described above, you will need to create all rules again after the extension is reinstalled. All transactions and statistics history will be lost as well.
After the extension installation the store gives an error, or blank page, or suggests to start Magento installation procedure.
Change the owner of the extracted extension files to the web server user and set 775 permissions on them. Clear the store cache and try again.
After the installation System->Configuration->Refer a Friend returns 404 error.
Logout from backend and login back again.
There is no aheadWorks extensions under my configuration section, or having the extension tab clicked I get a blank page, or Access Denied error.
Clear the store cache, browser cookies, logout and login again.
My configuration changes do not appear on the store.
Clear the store cache, clear your browser cache and domain cookies and refresh the page.
You can always find the latest version of the software, full documentation, demos, screenshots and reviews at http://ecommerce.aheadworks.com
License agreement: http://ecommerce.aheadworks.com/LICENSE-M1.txt
Contact us: http://ecommerce.aheadworks.com/contacts/
Copyright © 2015 aheadWorks Co. http://www.aheadworks.com