- Managing questions
- Custom position via Widget
- Integration with other aheadWorks extensions
The Product Question extension enables your visitors to ask questions directly on the product page and receive answers to them right there.
Set up cron
The Product Questions 2 extension relies on cron for sending out Ask Customers email. If you have already configured cron jobs for your Magento installation then you can skip this step. Read the following instructions on setting cron job for your Magento store: Magento user guide
Generally it would be enough to run in SSH console of your server:
And insert the following line:
Don't forget to confirm saving request when exit.
Updating from 1.X branch
The Product Question 2 extension is a complete overhaul of the original idea. Compared to its predecessor, the 2.x version has different code and data structure; therefore, to pass the data from the original extension to Product Questions 2, a special one-time procedure is required.
To import the existent data from the original Product Questions 1.X extension:
- Install Product Questions 2 extension as per instructions above;
- execute the migration script that comes with the 2.x version.
Open a browser and type in the address bar:
After the migration script has been executed ("Complete!" message should appear), flush the store cache.
Then, you can disable and remove the original Product Questions 1.X module.
Inserting the Questions block in tabs
The extension automatically embeds its block in the Product View page via layout. If there is a need to move the block to a tab, it can be done via layout as well.
Since the Magento themes are represented in great variety, the exact method may also vary. Below are 2 ready-made examples, you can use them for reference.
The below instructions are for the popular Ultimo custom theme, but the similar method can be used for many other custom themes as well.
The extension's general settings can be found in System -> Configuration -> aheadWorks Extensions -> Product Questions 2 (or Catalog -> Product Questions -> Settings)
General Settings tab:
- Enable Product Questions 2 - switches on / off the extension's frontend functionality
- Who Can Ask Questions from Product Page - this option defines if questions can be submitted by Registered Customers only, or by Anyone (i.e., both registered clients and guests)
- Who Can Answer Questions from Product Page - defines what customers are allowed to answer the questions. Available values are:
- Nobody (admin only) - customers cannot answer questions
- Any Registered Customer - only logged in customers can answer questions
- Only Registered Customers Who Purchased The Products - answering is allowed for logged in customers who have previously ordered the current product
- Anyone - any store visitor can answer the questions
- Approve Answers Automatically (yes / no) - defines if a store admin's approval for customer-submitted answers is required, or they will get "Approved" status automatically.
- Do not send "Ask Customers" emails to customers who bought product more than X days ago - excludes the customers whose orders were placed earlier that X days ago from the "Ask Customers" recipients.
- Guests can rate helpfulness (yes / no) - allows / prohibits voting for guest users
- Subscribe customers to Product Questions emails automatically (yes / no) - defines whether a customer will be automatically subscribed to extension's emails
- Customer-defined question visibility (Private or Public) - enables / disables customers to choose the type of their question. Public questions will be displayed in the frontend, while Private questions will be answered via email only.
Interface Settings tab:
- Number of questions to display - this option defines how many questions will be shown under the 'Product Questions' section at the product page. If the actual number of questions exceeds this value, the rest will be hidden under an expand link.
- Number of answers to display - this option defines how many answers will be shown under a question by default. If the actual number of answers exceeds this value, the one(s) with the lowest Helpfulness rating will be hidden under an expand link.
- Display URLs as links - this option defines whether URLs posted in questions and answers will be parsed to clickable links, or will be represented as a plain text.
- Default questions sort by - this option defines the default sorting type for questions, whether by date or by helpfulness.
- Default sort order - this option defines the sort order for questions, whether descending (the most recent/helpful questions at the top of the list) or ascending (less recent/helpful questions at the top of the list).
Notification Settings tab:
In this tab, you can configure the notifications settings of the extension. You are to specify the recipient of all the admin-side notifications ( Send admin notifications to this email address option ), Email Sender and select the email template for each of the listed notifications type.
Remove Email Web copies older than X days option sets the delay before the web copies of an email are removed.
You can view and manage customer's questions via Catalog -> Product Questions -> All Questions backend grid. A quick link for unprocessed questions is also available, Catalog -> Product Questions -> Pending Questions.
New questions can be created by the store admin as well, through the same grid. An Admin user should just click Add New button, select the desired product and the frontend customer account (Guest option is also available), and fill out the question form.
Question view screen
- Linked Entity - this field contains a clickable link to the product the question is associated with
- Asked From - this field shows the storeview origin of the question
- Created At - shows the question creation date; can be altered.
- Show in stores - allows sharing the question to any other storeviews.
- Status (Pending / Approved / Declined) - defines the question status. Only "Approved" questions show up in the frontend.
- Author Name and Author Email - can be edited for a guest question. For a question submitted by a registered user, these fields are replaced with a single Author record with the clickable link to the customer account.
- Question - the actual inquiry text; can be edited by the admin.
- Visibility (Private / Public) - defines the type of the question. "Public" questions will be posted in the frontend, "Private" ones will only receive admin's answers via email.
- Helpfulness - shows the question rating; can be altered by the store admin.
Manage Answers tab:
Through this tab, you can manage all the submitted answers, and add new ones.
Mass actions (Change Status / Delete) are allowed in this grid.
Sharing question tab:
The Product Questions extension allows sharing a given question between multiple products.
There is total of 4 available sharing modes:
- Product(s) - you will be able to manually select the target item(s) from the grid
- Attribute Set - the question will be shown for every item of the selected Attribute Set
- Website - the question will be visible on all the items within the selected Website. Hint: if you would to share a question within a certain Storeview only, use Website sharing in conjunction with Show in stores option.
- Global - the question will be displayed on every product within your Magento.
After "Add New" button is clicked in View Question -> Manage Answers tab, the answer form will open in a pop-up.
The first step is to define the answer origin (Admin, registered Customer or guest).
Next step is filling our the actual answer form.
Author Name and Author Email fields will be replaced with a clickable link to the Customer View screen if the answer is posted by a registered user. Answer Date and Helpfulness rating can be altered by the store admin.
Is Admin's Answer (Yes / No) option will mark the answer as posted by admin in the frontend. Note: the "admin answer" mark can be given to any answer, even posted by a guest visitor or registered user.
Status option defines the answer state. The new answers receive "Pending" status by default (unless Approve Answers Automatically option is enabled), "Approved" questions will be posted in the frontend; if an answer is "Declined", it won't appear in the frontend.
Ask Customers option
This function allows a store admin to send out notifications about a question posted for a product.
These notifications will be sent to the customers who have previously purchased this particular product (but not earlier than X days before). By default, these notifications contain a link to the product page with the automated customer login procedure.
The figure in brackets on the button indicates the number of recipients.
Custom position via Widget
In addition to the default position, the extension allows placing Product Questions block manually via Widget.
When the new Widget is added you will first need to specify the 'Type' as 'AW Product Questions 2' and the 'Design Package/Theme' you currently have at your store.
Frontend properties of the Widget come as usual with the Widget's general settings.
- 'Widget Options' section allows specifying the number of questions to be displayed in a Widget in a 'Public answered questions' field.
One can also use the following Widget declaration:
Where num_questions="N" - is the number of questions that should be displayed in the widget.
Integration with other aheadWorks extensions
- The Product Questions 2 extension is integrated with Points & Rewards (since 1.7.3 version) module. If both extensions are installed at the store, you will be able to reward customers for answering questions.
- Help Desk Ultimate 3 - if both extensions are in use at the same store, you will have an option to convert a product question to a help desk ticket.
If you just need to temporary disable the extension, you can just do the steps 1-5, without deleting the files of the extension.
- Disable compilation, in case it is enabled.
- Login to your FTP, navigate to app/etc/modules/
Open the file AW_Pquestions2.xml and change the following line:
Now your Magento is unaware of the existence of this module.
- Clear the cache under var/cache
- Make sure that the site is working properly, otherwise roll back the changes and apply to our technical support.
- If everything works fine, it is safe to delete the files of the extension.
- In case you need to clean the database, backup your database and then run the following queries in MySQL:
IF EXISTS `aw_pquestion2_summary_answer`;
IF EXISTS `aw_pquestion2_notification_queue`;
IF EXISTS `aw_pquestion2_notification_subscriber`;
IF EXISTS `aw_pquestion2_summary_question`;
IF EXISTS `aw_pquestion2_answer`;
IF EXISTS `aw_pquestion2_question`;
Note, if you are using the table with prefixes, you must specify them in all table names.
If you are not sure how to do that or expect any troubles with it, please contact your server administrator regarding the matter.
If you remove the tables as it is described above, you will need to configure the extension again when it is reinstalled. All questions and answers will be lost as well.
After the extension installation the store gives an error, or blank page, or suggests to start Magento installation procedure.
Change the owner of the extracted extension files to the web server user and set 775 permissions on them. Clear the store cache and try again.
There is no aheadWorks extensions under my configuration section, or having the extension tab clicked I get a blank page, or Access Denied error.
Clear the store cache, browser cookies, logout and login again.
My configuration changes do not appear on the store.
Clear the store cache, clear your browser cache and domain cookies and refresh the page.
You can always find the latest version of the software, full documentation, demos, screenshots and reviews at http://ecommerce.aheadworks.com
License agreement: http://ecommerce.aheadworks.com/LICENSE-M1.txt
Contact us: http://ecommerce.aheadworks.com/contacts/
Copyright © 2015 aheadWorks http://www.aheadworks.com